Sunday, October 12, 2008

Close up


I don't know if this is the same tree that stood out in the crowd yesterday, but let's pretend it is, even if Andi tells us it's not. So, this was the fellow with the Voice that could be seen from far away. Now here we are close to him. Hmm. He seems to have all the same parts the other trees have. Trunk? Branches? Check. Twigs? Check. Leaves? Check. Sap? Check. The only difference is that he's more colorful, and he's more colorful because why? Because he's earlier. Earlier? What's that got to do with writing? Sometimes, a lot. The early writer gets the publishing contract, and by "early" I mean any one of a number of things. . .

You may be among the early ones who write a kind of novel that eventually becomes very popular, like female private eye books. And why were you smart enough to do that? Because that's what you really wanted to write, even if nobody else was writing that, and so you followed your heart, which gave your voice resonance.

You may be someone who has a true story that a lot of people *could* tell, but you're one of the few who actually does it.

You may have a style of writing that's unusual and very "you," and so you put it out there, becoming a red tree on a green hillside.

There are a lot of ways to be either early or colorful, or both, and some of those ways are even genuine. But I think that the simplest and most obvious way to be colorful and "early" is to release as many inhibitions in our writing as we can, write what is truly "us," and start to do it now, rather than later on. Of course, it's also possible to be "too early," or "too colorful," and those writers do NOT get the publishing contracts, but that's another tree of a different color for another day at the blog. . .

15 comments:

Nancy P said...

Okay, so I jumped the gun on Monday, but, hey, I can beat a dead horse until it's hardly recognizable as an analogy!

My son is in town, yay!! I can't wait to see him. He's coming over to have his favorite "cheesy eggs" for breakfast. Aww, my baby.

What are you guys up to for this week?

Nancy P said...

I can also mix metaphors with the best of 'em. Let's see, we have a gun that's jumped, a dead horse that's beat, and a tree that's a. . .voice?

boran2 said...

I'm always late. Except today when I'm apparently early to the thread. I'm confused.

AndiF said...

Well I'll let the writers work over the leaf/tree/voice metaphors and just go for leaf/tree/p*rn Monday Picture Post.

seductive [LINK]

suggestive [LINK]

kinky [LINK]

Morning all.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, Enjoy Son. It is so fun when they come home to visit.
Mine's 6'2 and still my baby.

Early voice. I still think I'm in that category. I look every time I'm in the bookstore and still see very few if any books like what I'm writing.
I'm fascinated by the number of paranormal, vampire books now out there. That market has real chops.
What's the next trend or is it good writing that drives the publishing industry? I enjoyed the DaVinci Code but many didn't so maybe good writing isn't the measure as much as catch the public's fickle eye. Or maybe just Oprah's. And I like Oprah and appreciate the interest in reading she boosted.

Andi--Hope you survived the visitors and pack of dogs at the house. Love the photos. Not sure that I see the same nuances in your photos, but I was scarred by that old man discussion earlier so I'm avoiding looking too close.

B2--timing is everything and I'm usually a day late and a dollar short. (cliche)

Waves to all to come.

Marvelous Monday to ALL.

Nicola Slade said...

Have fun with the son, Nancy. Mine is 6'3" and is emigrating to Australia next month along with his family, but I'm pretending it isn't happening - ostrich/sand!(At least the daughters live locally.)

Luckily my Italian germs are waning as I'm out to lunch every day this week, doesn't happen that way very often and out to a dinner meeting on Thursday where I'm the speaker, talking about writing and about my books. (Will I be plugging them? Would I do such a thing? Moi?) Must remember not to take on board too much dutch courage, can't have writers dancing on the table, can we!

Anonymous said...

I've been up to HOCKEY!

San Jose Sharks are now 3-0. Nice to have a new coach who seems to want to win.

And please, don't call me a "hockey mom". I'd rather eat a bowl of broken glass.

Enjoy the cheesy eggs and fruit of your loins Nancy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Nancy. I look at my work and think boy, I wonder if anyone would read this? But I'm sure lots of folks think the same thing. Not sure that I'm a trail-blazer, though...

Trying to get back to writing this week, after a roller-coaster ride last week. When my thoughts are in order, I"ll post about it at my place. But not today.

Today I'll be watching the Red Sox!

Hope you're enjoying a holiday Monday, those of you with real jobs that are off today.

Nicola Slade said...

It's a public holiday across the pond? What does it commemorate? We have no more Bank Holidays till Christmas Day and Boxing Day (26th December) then New Year's Day. Every now and then someone suggests we have a holiday on 21st(I think) October to celebrate the battle of Trafalgar in 1805 but nothing ever comes of it.
Have a good one.

Anonymous said...

Nicola, some would say that this "holiday" is about the "discovery: of America. Columbus Day.

Most American Natives would say otherwise. ;) How exactly do you discover a place that is already populated? :D

In Canada, I believe it's Thanksgiving Day.

Gotta get ready to go to work.

Kelly McCullough said...

Hey all,

Posted my first morning comment in yesterday's thread...sigh. I hope that's not a sign of how coherent I'm going to be today.

Nancy P said...

Ooo, Andi, great photos. I esp. love the kinky one.

Lisa, this is a dangerous place. :)

Ack, Nicola! Son moving Down Under, nooooo. Mine is only as far as Kansas City is from Ft. Worth, Texas. I'd hate it if he went to another continent. . .all the while I'd repeat the mantra, "It's good for him, it's good for him." You have all my mom sympathy.

Nancy P said...

It's to early to talk to you, b2.

Janet, lol. And I would NEVER call you a hockey mom. I loved being a soccer mom, but I didn't like being called one.

That's okay, Kelly. And it was a really *good* comment.

Nancy P said...

Unless, of course, I already *did* call you a hockey mom, in which case I take it back. :)

maryb said...

Janet, I have no doubt that if called upon to drop the puck, you would do it better. :)

Good morn .. aftern .. evening all. Today was such a Monday. But it's almost over.